The Research Library houses a substantial collection of published and unpublished research material in English, Portuguese and other languages. One priceless collection of manuscripts that belonged to the historic Mhamai House from Panaji, deals with private coastal and hinterland trade during the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Many of the holdings are rare one-of-a-kind items in a variety of languages and scripts. The library shelves over thirty thousand volumes, and the main sections are:
- Asia during the Portuguese presence in the East
- Issues impacting developing countries
- The Church in Goa / India
- The Jesuits in Goa / India
- Goan and Indo-Portuguese history
- History of Indo-Portuguese Christian art
The XCHR offers guidance to researchers on these areas. The Xavier Library being of the closed-access type, books are entrusted to borrowers for consultation in a Reading Room on the XCHR premises.